How to Plan Your Day

WKP057ML

Time study data collected by Pace Productivity indicates the typical knowledge worker plans his or her day for a total of 2.3 hours per week. Results from sales reps indicates that those who spend more time in planning tend to be more successful. Here is how to plan your day:

• Visualize your long term picture of success and put it in writing. Review your goal frequently. Your goal should be specific, measurable, achievable and compatible with where you are now. There should be an end date as well. Steven Covey calls this “Begin with the end in mind.”
  • Write out a To Do list every day. Include items that can be completed, such as “Prepare exhibits for monthly report”, rather than just “Work on report.”
  • Separate your To Do list into A, B and C priorities.
  • “A” items are important to your long term success (If you had nothing else to do today, these would be the activities that would affect your results one month from now),
  • “B” are things you must do today as part of your job description (they may be urgent but not as important)
  • “C” are unwritten or unavoidable but necessary (administration, travel, personal)
  • “D” are things you could delay, delegate, or delete
  • Start with the A items. Don’t work on a C just because it’s easy to do. Also, break your A items into small manageable chunks, so they’re easy to accomplish.
  • Check off items as you complete them to give yourself a sense of accomplishment.
  • Block off time for major activities. This might include a block of time for working alone on major tasks. If someone wants to meet you during that time, say “I’m sorry, I already have an appointment.”
  • Don’t jam your day full of activities. Leave time for emergencies, special opportunities and thinking time.
  • Be your own manager. Ask yourself if you have met your goals, and what changes you plan to make to achieve them.
  • Do it now. People will often say “Call me next week, and we’ll book an appointment then.” Respond by saying, “Let’s save ourselves a call and do it now.”
  • Always plan time for balance; include family, fitness, recreation, social and spiritual activities.
  • Conduct a time study to see how you’re doing and where the opportunities for improvement lie. Many people are only able to spend one quarter of their time on top priority activities. Moving this up to one third of the week means almost 4 more hours per week on key activities.

Tags:
Posted in Time Tips | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “How to Plan Your Day”

1. By nikunj devesar on Aug 25, 2010 | Reply

i know most of the things but don’t know they r so important thanks for remindingme. i ll stick to my
    daily routine and distribute time in all fields of the day.

2. By france on Sep 29, 2010 | Reply

I have lots of works to do,but I can’t manage them in a day.I m getting disturbed by hapazardly planning.

3. By Julie on Oct 24, 2010 | Reply

I dont know where to start. I am getting overwhelmed with everything that’s happening.

4. By Benjamin Ng on Nov 3, 2010 | Reply

These are some GREAT tips. Was searching google on how to plan time. Glad I found this. going to try to follow it.
    I’m behind on work by about 72 hours so I need some good planning.

5. By subbiah on Nov 21, 2010 | Reply

Nice , i can follow the point of a,b,c and d nice

thanks

6. By Yvonne Vanderleest on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Thats the good idea to make a list of thing to be done in A B C from most important to least important and stick to it. Thanks

7. By ben oginda on Nov 30, 2010 | Reply

I will like to know more on how to plan on my day.

8. By Berry on Jan 9, 2011 | Reply

My exams are in two weeks…how will you suggest me to plan my day? I’d like to know, thanks a lot in advance

9. By ramneet on Mar 12, 2011 | Reply

i am pursuing my graduation in architecture and due to very tight schedule i generally skip my sleep and some times this is dragged till weekends….
    its very uncomfortable and i definitely feel weak and cannot give 100%to my work.
    i really need ur suggestion….

10. By innocent kisanga jr on Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

Yap.. a nice tip for time management!! At least I have found somewhere to start! will try it out

11. By Daniel on May 7, 2011 | Reply

Nice post – Good point on not letting the ‘C’ tasks push the ‘A’ tasks aside, I have a nasty habit of doing this.

12. By J Singh on Jun 21, 2011 | Reply

At this moment of my life, i don’t have anything to do but the situation requires me to do something as i have a made a huge financial loss & i want to come out of it ASAP. But, i don’t want to rush into things as it might make things worse. I’m going through stress, which is very natural & it has started to show on my health as i have put on a lot of weight (my body weight should be & 73 kgs but it is 90+). I want to get into meditation & physical excercise along with some useful activity that can bring in some financial incomings but i’m not able to plan my day. Please advice.

13. By krunal on Sep 25, 2011 | Reply

i have read your time programes point are very simpal i have achives all point and ues our life.ok
    thank.

14. By teetee on Oct 10, 2011 | Reply

nice ideas on time management. seems very practical to me. set to follow them.

15. By maddy on Nov 4, 2011 | Reply

nice tips about a,b,c,d which i really want

16. By imam chekene on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

I am really very grateful. I just found what I am in desperate need of. Can you please give me an example to enable generate mine. Tank you very much

17. By erhardt on Mar 24, 2012 | Reply

thanks very much for that.

18. By Prax on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Kool tips thanks ;D

19. By Lee Marcus on Jul 31, 2013 | Reply

Excellent post- Simple, Clear and concise.
    I really like the differentiation between ABC prioritys.
    Thank you very much.