How to Overcome Procrastination

BuddyHive; Buddy up and get stuff done
Be inspired to overcome procrastination. Now in beta, BuddyHive.com links random buddies to be accountable to each other as they achieve small tasks. Click above, write in a task, and we’ll find a buddy to support you on your way.

Procrastination is the intentional and habitual postponement of an important task that should be done now. Procrastination is fostered by habit. So if you want to stop procrastinating, you will have to break old habits and develop new ones.  But first, try to understand the causes for your procrastination. If you can, you’re halfway there.  Recognize the difference between an appropriate decision to delay and an irrational postponement without justification. If you find yourself waiting for information from someone else, then it is appropriate to delay a project.  If not, overcome procrastination through task strategies in an environment where distractions are minimized.

TASK STRATEGIES

Unpleasant tasks

• Unpleasant tasks rarely turn out to be as bad as you think.
  • Complete these tasks first. Schedule them for early in the day. Give yourself a reward for doing them.

Complex Projects

• Something looms ahead of you: starting a small business, getting a job, preparing the annual budget. The job is too big or will take too long to do now, so you put it off.
  • Break large jobs into smaller, more manageable tasks. Plan and complete a start-up task, no matter how small.

Indecision

• People delay because they can’t make up their minds.
  • Determine a time for making a decision and the criteria for making it. Share your deadline with someone else.

Fear of failure (lack of self confidence)

• People don’t want to face the consequences of failure, so they delay. (Some people suffer from fear of success too!)
  • Develop a clear mental picture of the completed task and how you will feel at that time. Maintain a focus on the end result, not just the process. Remind yourself how good you’ll feel when you’re finished.

Lack of interest

• You are tired or  lazy. You’ re just not very interested in the task.
  • Reward yourself for accomplishments. Go out for special lunches when major projects are completed. If you don’t earn the reward, don’t take it.
  • Schedule the task for when you will be at your peak.

Perfectionism

• People delay because they want to get the project perfect.
  • Set deadlines for yourself. Tell other people your deadlines and encourage them to check up on you.
  • Maintain your high standards, but recognize that sometimes 80% for you may well be 100% for someone else. Don’t spend hours conducting a detailed cost breakdown when a rough estimate would suffice.

Hostility towards a boss

• People delay because they don’t like the person who assigned the task.
  • Review with your boss what exactly is needed. Clarify the expectations.
  • Make a game out of unpleasant tasks. Give yourself points, or do a running commentary on yourself as you do the task.

Distraction, lack of focus

• Sometimes losing concentration causes delays.
  • Create a to-do list with priorities.
  • Block your time for projects.
  • As you get distracted from a work project, make a rule that you are not allowed to move out of your chair, make a call, surf the net, pick up a book etc. until you return to your task.
  • Complete something. Make a very small task for yourself and finish it. Very small. Then, make another one.

Unimportant tasks

Something needs to be done, but it isn’t that important. You have a leaky roof, but you don’t mind putting a small glass under it. The trouble is, things will get worse. Or you have a few repairs around the house that need to be done. All of a sudden you need to move. Fixing those repairs to make the house saleable will be difficult.

• Calculate the possible future cost of not doing things.
  • Schedule time. Break tasks into small pieces.

ENVIRONMENT STRATEGIES

Tailor your environment for work. Close your door, clean up the clutter on your desk.

• Remove distractions such as water coolers, snacks, in-boxes, coffee machines and magazine racks.

If you work at home, treat your office as an office. Don’t go out to lunch before lunchtime or watch television before the end of the day.

• Tell your family that you are not to be disturbed in your home office

• Turn off your email notification to prevent interruptions.

Tags: ,
Posted in Time Tips | 69 Comments »

69 Responses to “How to Overcome Procrastination”

1. By John Walker on Jul 20, 2010 | Reply

Good article, simple points for improvement.
    FYI – last sentence notication s/b notification (typo)

2. By morgan on Aug 2, 2010 | Reply

it’s great. though i’m sitting here reading this instead of doing what i really should do. oh wow.

3. By cabinguy on Sep 14, 2010 | Reply

I’ll try to follow your advice – or shall I? Maybe I’ll do it tomorrow. :)

4. By sausage macphearson on Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Through personal experience I’ve found that giving myself a reward at the end of a task does not motivate me to complete it any faster than if I didn’t promise myself a reward. If I don’t like the task at hand, I usually just procrastinate either way. Setting goals and checkpoints does nothing for me either because If I am uninterested in something, it is a gruelling and tedious experience, and I often just get depressed because I’m so unmotivated and angry at the situation. I am in my last year of university and can’t wait for the day I graduate.

5. By Mark Ellwood on Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

The habits you learn and practice at university are likely to stay with you when you start a new job. The day after you graduate is not likely to be any different from the day before you graduate. So take the opportunity to build a solid work ethic now, while you have the chance to try different techniques.

Your time is worth it !

6. By Page on Oct 21, 2010 | Reply

So yeah. I agree with Morgan.
    Reading this in itself is procrastinating, as I’ve got an essay if for (uh) yesterday.
    Five essays actually.
    I’m really not a clever Trevor.
    And who invented Tumblr anyway?
    It’s his fault.
    I’m going to go write a letter of complaint.
    NO WAIT. That’s procrastinating.

I’m pretty much stuffed.

But good advice. :D

7. By Gillian on Oct 23, 2010 | Reply

Thank you so much! Just a quick glance through your headings and I realised that I fall into the ‘fear of success’ category. I’m a 100 percenter or nothing person (wich I am going to work on now). Your comment on 80 per cent can equal 100 per cent in others has struck a chord. I guess the world will not stop turning if I try 80 per cent for a change, I know from experience it will equate to 100 per cent in others. I will start right away and save the 100 per cent for tasks that really require it. I might even end up with some ‘me time’. Thank you so much Mark. Have bookmarked your site to read later.

8. By Etsu on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

So. Who here is procrastinating by reading this article on how to stop procrastinating? Yeah. I have an essay due in 7 hours. Wonder how I’m going to make it.

9. By Miriam on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I can relate to all of the reasons listed. Also, in addition to fear of failure is the fear of success… if I succeed at this task that means more work and responsibility.

10. By Saima on Oct 25, 2010 | Reply

I hav been procastinating for a very long-time actually I hav probably been procastinating since school days(my earliest memory of it). I’m now 29 and have my own business and even though I need to get things done I still procastinate. It makes me feel rly down. This article is very interesting. I would consider myself a bit of a perfectionist and agree with Gillian that 80% from me is 100% from many others. I will take on tips given in this article and get myself going again. I like the not watching t.v during the day if working from home n minimising interruptions.. Having said that it’s rly hard when u hav a baby aswell. Here’s to a new attempt at trying to change this horrible habit.

11. By Aggie on Oct 27, 2010 | Reply

I have tried setting goals, giving my self rewards, telling other people etc. But I find myself doing jobs that dont really need to be done immediately eg tidy my room, doing fileing,filling out ucas forms etc. as my procrastination so that it looks like i’ve done something when what i actually needed to do was write an essay, do flashcards for revision etc. What does that mean? Anyone else do this? Writing a plan is also one of my favourite procastination thingies to do as well…and I’m procrastinating right now… I’m not afraid of success 80% 100% blahblah, my parents say I’m just lazy, how do I get over being lazy? I really wanna know…

12. By Anna on Oct 30, 2010 | Reply

And so a common trait of procrastinators is SARCASM! Yes, I have an essay due tomorrow on How To Stop Procrastinating…It’s ironic that I’m procrastinating on my Procrastination essay…:)

13. By joe on Nov 1, 2010 | Reply

Totally agree with sausage macphearson, though I’m a freshman, I want a real job, not paperwork -_- thats why I procrastinate

14. By Fitri on Nov 3, 2010 | Reply

same with Aggie and sausage macphearson.. I procrastinate no matter what I try, especially when it comes to assignments that come from my major. I do better in my other subjects. No idea why. It’s not fear of failure or whatever, either. I just don’t like doing it =___=

15. By vik on Nov 11, 2010 | Reply

i agreeeee! OMG im in 2nd yr at uni and my assignment (6000 words) was due 2 days ago and ive barely done the intro.. i just hate doing assignments so much cos i can’t just write something and then go edit it later.. it drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!! GRRR i dont know how to stop it :( i do everything (facebook, sleep, research, music etc) that im not supposed to do. and then i just get angry at myself and still get nothing done. soooo frustrating i swear. :(
    i’d rather sit an exam ANY day cos at least it gets it over n done with in a set time

16. By ann on Nov 12, 2010 | Reply

good stuff from all. I can’t seem to stop not getting to what’s important over things I see are urgent–and a lot of the time it’s family or house stuff and work takes a serious back burner. And I’m not making it up anywhere else, really, ie, not staying up late to do it or getting up at a ridiculously early time to get it done. Feeling mad at myself but still not shedding the old habits. I feel like I need a major push and pull by someone/something.

17. By Rose on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I am totally like Aggie as well!!
    I really want to know if I’m totally lazy or just need to make some sort of change…
    I know my goals, I have a plan…I just don’t do it the way I know I should!!
    I drive my self crazy over this!!

18. By Lily on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

I agree! I am trying to do my homework since this morning and I am doing other stuff instead (doing a plan I don’t need, reading this article and so on). Really frustrating: it is like figthing against yourself!

19. By Lucas on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

This is all very helpful for someone who is thinking rationally, but procrastinators are not thinking rationally. That is their problem in the first place. I am procrastinating a paper right now myself. I just want something to stop me from procrastinating, but i don’t know how to stop it.

20. By Will on Nov 15, 2010 | Reply

Aggie, Ihave the same problem as you. However, I have worked out a system that seems to work really well for me. For example, lets say I have 30 math problem due tommorow. I’ll do 5 problems every half hour for 3 hours. I do this in the late evening and use the spare time as free time. It’s really easy and works very well.

21. By Melody on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

Why didn’t I procrastinate at my job? My entire office was also kept neat and in order.

How can I transfer that ‘work ethic’ to my home?

22. By Yvonne Vanderleest on Nov 29, 2010 | Reply

I have the same problem especially when i stressed out, i usually get up and do other chores around the house, check e-mail, bank account etc..I am sure need to have more self confidence, but how. I have been failed so many times in my life. I am scared to death about not passing again..I know i need to manage my time more evenly. I have a few other involvement during the week. I just don’t know what to give up. They all important to me. They are my spiritual fulfillment tasks.

23. By Matt, Natalie and Lance on Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

Matt: Crap, I have been looking for procrastination strategies all this time so that I can figure out how to stop procrastinating my project due in two days.

Natalie: sigh….

Lance: Retard.

24. By Mark Ellwood on Dec 9, 2010 | Reply

Procrastination continues to be a struggle for lots of people. Here are two ideas.

1)Re-read the tips and see what catches your interest. Try the technique.

2)Finish something right now. Pick it up and just get it done. You will feel terrific afterwards and you will likely realize that it was not hard to do after all. Stop reading this. Go do it. Then tell us your success stories. Go ahead…

25. By G.J.S. on Dec 13, 2010 | Reply

2 things im really good at: procrastination & being late are my most undesirable traits & what i hate the most about myself. the amount of money wasted or lost is just pathetic not to mention missed/lost opportunities.
    favorite sayings:
    why put off for tomorrow what u can put off today
    if it wasn’t for the last minute i’d never get anything done!

26. By Seung on Dec 22, 2010 | Reply

Procrastination is bad, and one of my worst traits, but when I do pull off something last minute, which is everything, Im that much more proud of myself.

27. By jake on Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

Just make up your mind what you want to do, have to do and just do it. Forget all the excuses.

28. By idiot on Jan 2, 2011 | Reply

yes, I can just make myself do it, without any reward or any excuse aswell. But, I do procrastinate very badly. for example, I’m only grade 10, and I have 2 projects to do, and read a book. I have a week to read the book and write an essay on it. I didn’t start. I seriously wonder how I am an honour student…? Maybe if I don’t delay it, i will skip the next grade… :D

29. By reference on Jan 11, 2011 | Reply

I recently asked someone for a letter of recommendation for graduate school. He is head of an organization I’ve had positive dealings with and we have interacted positively on many occasions. At the time I asked for a reference, I asked if he was comfortable providing one and he was all gung-ho positive about it. Well, I did not know he has some type of toxic procrastination problem. His organization lost 2 key people at the same time and I realize after talking to one of them that she did all the work of the organization. He is a dithering fool and despite numerous email reminders from the university requiring the recommendation, he hasn’t bothered to click on the link to see what the form looks like, let alone fill it out. The deadline was yesterday and he has not done it. Desperately I’ve been contacting this a**hole now because the university does not allow changes to the list of references. They have to manually go in and make changes and now that just looks plain bad for me to have to go to them and say I don’t know why, but this guy is not submitting the form. I don’t know how someone with such poor organizational skills was able to Peter Principle himself up the food chain, but I’ve totally lost respect for the organization and will not have anything to do with it in the future. Chronic procrastinators in positions of power damage the reputation of their organizations. There is no excuse for not doing something so important after agreeing that you would. Either don’t agree to it, contact the person BEFORE the deadline, or just buckle down and do it. It’s lame to let it mount to crisis proportions. Not making a decision is making a decision by default, a bad one.

30. By SameHardCandy on Jan 16, 2011 | Reply

Great advice, really helped me to finish what i st

( couldn’t resist, sorry :P )

31. By Nelyn on Jan 26, 2011 | Reply

I have read, while procrastinating, several articles on the subject but I really loved this because of its short and practical tips. Thank you.

32. By Kevin on Feb 17, 2011 | Reply

I think one of the tips should be: “Stop looking up how to stop procrastinating, just do whatever you have to do”. I’m trying to stall because I don’t like doing work and I can’t really reward myself in any way. . .

33. By roberts on Feb 20, 2011 | Reply

Ok, I’m going to give this a shot. I was looking at this because I have a good friend who is the opitome of extreme procrastinator and I myself am the opposite. I have ideas on how to help her but let me toss this out to all of you and see what comments come back about this. I don’t know why I ended up as a problem solver and a person who really gets things done BUT I DO KNOW some of the things that make me do what I do when I do them. There are some rules that I live by which are set by me and controlled by me. I give permission to, what I refer to as the “BRAIN POLICE” that they will enforce the rules (remember, the rules are set by me). First and most important is that in your most honest conversation with yourself when you agree that you know a certain action will give you happiness you create that rule that can’t be broken which is the action you must take in that particular situation. For example, this rule should be the first rule everyone makes and gives permission to the brain police to enforce. RULE #1. Whatever is in my hands MUST BE DEALT with to it’s proper competion before I put it down. If you can’t do that or WON’T do that, everything else following that moment will not be in it’s place nor proper perspective that day. So, it’s a book and it should be placed in your car, your shelf, your “whatever”, you will not sit the book down, it is stuck in your hand until you walk to the proper location and take care of it the right way. If you don’t, the brain police have been given permission by you, to raise hell and poke away at you until you are toooooo haunted except to do what should be done and THEN MOVE ON TO THE NEXT THING going on in your life, your day. This is a simple step because ANYONE can recognize it as productive and make up their mind to do it. It has many rewards other than the obvious. It starts to remove all the clutter and distractions that can assist in bigger procrastination areas and it begins a tangible habit of thinking in a way to deal with what is at hand at that moment. Even if you are in the midst of a time consuming project and something finds it’s way into your hands, you will take care of it at that moment and then return to your project. As those instances occur you develop good decision making about what needs to be done because you will recognize that you can “walk a book to the care during a quick break from the two hour project and it will even clear you mind that you know the book is in the car so that you can continue with your project. This is only step one. The most important part of this is to truly agree that you want the brain police to enforce the laws (rules) you have agreed to, created. You give control to them and tell them to act because you know this is necessary and that you can’t be happy until this rule is adheared to. Once this is functioning. I will start you will rule 2. Ok, that’s it. I have tried to put it into words and description that you can take and run with. I will respond if you need me to and then I will give the next step if this has helped anyone.

34. By WhyShouldYouCare on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

I hate procrastinating and i would realllly love to stop, but its soo hard. i get easily destracted with everything!! Like right now im doing a project, and im destracted by texting and i dont know how to stop…. anybody got some tips cuz i tried these already.

35. By Pickle on Feb 28, 2011 | Reply

Sometimes it helps to have a change of scenery, like at the library, a place where it’s quiet and not distracting. I wish I was there now because I’ve been procrastinating and probably get everything done by 4:30 am…. @_@

36. By MATY on Mar 1, 2011 | Reply

im technically not procrastinating because i need this for a speech wich i have to remeber in 1 hour in french……………oh ya i should start that:p thnx dough

37. By StevenDiaz on Mar 2, 2011 | Reply

Every one on this website resumed something that will help me….If you have something to do DO IT NOW…at the instance your brain tell you to postpone it…just say NO…I SHOULD DO IT NOW…and also i think i should try the calenders…bla bla..these would help also…Gud luck Guys..In fact I follow an ACCA course and I am up to paper F7…which means financial reporting…i just don’t like it as i understand nothing abt it..and its just so hard to start understanding something that your mates understand already…am so late already…woow…should do it right away …anyway thx every one for your tips

38. By Steph on Mar 3, 2011 | Reply

For all the chronic procrastinators out there…
    I am a stay at home mom to a 16 month old. I have been a procrastinator for as long as I can remember.
    The 2 most helpful things I have found to work are:
    1. Take it ONE step at a time! I find myself doing something and thinking about the million other things I have to do that day. I finally tried planning only ONE step ahead and focus on the task at hand. If I was at the bank, complete the task at hand and when it was finished I would take a minute to decide my next task. It was brutal – it took self control, but it was the most relaxing and enjoyable day I’ve had for as long as I can remember.
    2. Set reasonable goals! Another issue I have is making lists… Usually they have so many tasks I can’t possibly finish them all. Its basically a recipe of setting yourself up to fail.
    The end result and conclusion: you have to make a choice and at times treat yourself like a child being held accountable by a parent (self control). It comes down to control – are you going to control yourself and your decisions? Or let your circumstances control you… As an recovering procrastinator I know how “out of control” we feel when nothing gets done.

Set low expectations to start and build on them, allow yourself to be human and make mistakes. Don’t quit!
    Patience and Self Control can’t be bought or given, they must be learned and developed :)

39. By Cheolsu on Mar 6, 2011 | Reply

That’s such an inspiring advice for procrastinators like me.. Thank you

40. By Sam on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

A lot of good points here.

41. By bubbles on Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

I’m in the 9th grade and its 1:30 AM and i have a giant project due in two days. We have had 8 weeks and I havnt started. I have had chronic procrastination for ages but i cant seem to stop because no matter what i do i still end up with decent grades. I also tend to eat when i procrastinate, which is starting to be a problem….anyway i love making plans, but i never start them. rewarding myself doesnt work because i think “why wait when you can have the reward now?” i need to change my lifestyle but i dont know how.

42. By edie on Mar 26, 2011 | Reply

I’m pretty sure I am the worst procrastinator in the world, reading this article is procrastinating the course work I have to do. I’ve tried everything, including these tips, and nothing seemed to work until recently. I realized that when I have a huge, ugly project from a teacher I hate, I will do anything to procrastinate it, even lesser assignment that I usually would have procrastinated. So, now, I’ve been trying to use my ugly projects to finish my lesser but still important assignments. If you’re like me, give it a try!

43. By Melanie on Mar 27, 2011 | Reply

I love that i’m procrastinating right now, by googling how to stop procrastinating. I’ve already had a friend change the email & password to my facebook so I can’t do that. I went straight to youtube haha. F… Mark Zuckerberg. It’s been 5 days since my last facebook log in, and it feels so liberating. Although, I went to a party Friday night (another form of procrastination), and now I want to look up the people I met on facebook :( Oh well.

44. By Jake on Mar 27, 2011 | Reply

Hmmm… i think i’ll read this later… oh thats ironic

45. By Jimmy the silver fox on Apr 1, 2011 | Reply

These are great tips, and although they didn’t help ME, I know the reason why. This applies to the majority of other people here, too. Following these tips will help you, but almost nothing will make you like it. It is called self-control people, you have to grit your teeth and get the task done. Instead of looking up procrastination tips, you should look for tips on self-control first. That is where I’m headed now. These are supposed to help you as you’re practicing self-control. It is not supposed to be easy people!!

46. By Ray Jay on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I should be typing up my American Studies paper right about now instead of reading this stupid article…

47. By Carl W. on Apr 8, 2011 | Reply

Sounds like many of you have ADD/ADHD. Check it out and consider counseling.

48. By Stephanie Staples on Apr 15, 2011 | Reply

Here’s one thing that works for me …
    Make a game out of it. Set the kitchen timer or your cell phone alarm – how much can you get done in ‘x’ amount of minutes?

Thanks for the tips!

49. By Tobmeister on Apr 25, 2011 | Reply

this site has been most inspiring, as well as a beacon of hope. Knowing that others are also afflicted by this crippling mentality helps. It would also seem that most of the comments are arising from lazy ppl. Yes, I procrastinate as well but have been overcoming it. I think it is imperative to note that every procrastinator commenting has one thing in common: not liking the trait and desiring to correct it. Realize that you have kindling already, all you have to do is add some fuel to set the motivational fire ablaze. Now lets go.

50. By Luke on Apr 28, 2011 | Reply

Great advice, I’ve just started a home business and find myself procrastinating a hell of a lot. I love the idea of rewarding myself, so, in mid may, im going to reward myself with a weekend away somewhere hot IF I manage to get a big project complete.

51. By angel b on May 1, 2011 | Reply

i hate doing dishes. I put it off and now there’s nothing clean. What do you guys think?

52. By angel b on May 1, 2011 | Reply

i’ve written down my favorite tips.. For instance i’ve never considered focusing on the glow of a finished job well done. I hope this works. I need to just get off my lazy behind and do it. Right?

53. By Nick on May 2, 2011 | Reply

I have ADD, OCD, ODD (oppositional defiance disorder). Right now, I’m procrastinating on writing a retarded five paragraph paper on what we learned in all of my block classes. We have to do this EVERY weekend, unless the week is cut short by snow days or something. Anyways, I find it very hard to even begin writing it. It’s like this with all of my homework. Sometimes I don’t even start ’til 2 in the morning. This is bad, because I have track after school and that makes me really tired. When I get home, I crash and usually don’t start homework until a lot later. I wish I could try to give myself rewards or remove distractions, but 1. I just don’t want to do things that don’t interest me, 2. I know I can reward myself even when not doing anything, and 3. I have no way to remove distractions, other than going to church or a restaurant or something. I somehow keep my grades all A-’s or better, but I’ve noticed my performance has been slightly degrading lately.

54. By jacob on May 12, 2011 | Reply

It’s midnight and I really don’t want to write an entire speech about illegal immigration that I’m supposed to be first to present tomorrow. I like the commentary idea though. Usually I’ll procrastinate little things that will take 20 minutes or an hour. If I filmed myself, then I would probably be more focused on doing what I’m supposed to on camera.

55. By Ben on Jun 10, 2011 | Reply

One idea worth considering is to exploit procrastination on one task to get several other tasks done. So if I’m procrastinating strongly on writing an essay that’s due in a month, use that inertia to dabble in other things and get those done. Now, you might wonder what’ll happen to the essay then; will it ever get done? The trick is to start procrastinating early enough on a task, use that to do other stuff, then hopefully replace the exploited task with another i.e. constantly cycle tasks to exploit.

56. By Sarah on Jun 14, 2011 | Reply

Anybody read this book I want to figure out if it’s worth buying.

57. By Geoffrey Talbot on Jun 22, 2011 | Reply

Thanks Great article,

Blogs on procrastination are always popular and everyone always has a lot to say and I sometimes wonder if this is procrastination itself.

Procrastination is a tricky little monster and one of it’s tricks is to get us talking about it. Agree? You don’t have too.

Sometimes we get so hung up on the cause that we forget that the solution is somewhat simple and generic… Beginning.

Thanks so much for this in depth analysis though. I wrote a seven sentence article on this here http://sevensentences.com/2011/06/02/how-to-stop-procrastinating-2/

Thanks

58. By Matthew Simiana on Jul 5, 2011 | Reply

Great tips…but easier said than done unluckily :S

59. By Mark Ellwood on Sep 5, 2011 | Reply

It’s easy to discover what you’ve been procrastinating. Have a look at your To Do list. What items have been there the longest?

Do them now, schedule a time to do them, or decide that they no longer need to be on the list.

60. By Bob on Nov 7, 2011 | Reply

Here’s what worked for me. I sat at a desk like I do all day at school, and suddenly I wanted to work. Why does it work?
    ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol

61. By Alexandra on Dec 1, 2011 | Reply

Yea I have a project worth 60 point of my grade due tomorrow… I’m to tired to go on.. With it.. But I have to.. Ive had it for about 15 days now. Just started a couple hours ago… I’m screwed.. T.T I’m a chronic procrastinator.. I get distracted so easily….

62. By Grace on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Indeed, your environment plays a great role in how you would feel motivated to work so it’s a lot better to work in a very convenient place. I came across a video that relates to your blog post. It’s a great video from Marie Forleo about effective ways on how to overcome procrastination. It’s a great video to watch. http://marieforleo.com/2011/02/overcome-procrastination/

63. By River on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

This is pretty ironic, looking up how to stop procrastinating while doing so…
    The problem I have is not exactly getting started, but continuing to work once a small portion is complete. Like I’ll finish one problem of math homework and then go back to the internet. It’s pretty annoying…
    But that’s why I’m looking this stuff up. (Not helping) T_T

64. By @ Roberts on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Hi… I’v also been a procrasinator since school,n its really miserable wen I waste away my tym n life.iv been trying for yrs to change n all these positive advices help a lot. I feel there should never be a point where we jus giv in to our Laziness..whether its ADD or not.. Prayer helps me alot,n asking God for guidance. Iv found Roberts Rule 1 very interesting, n its helped me immed aft I read it.. It felt so nice to do things on time n to control my actions n not be contolled by my laziness.. Can u plz post Rule 2 as well.. Would really appreciate it.. Tnx

65. By squidgee on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Am I the only one reading every comment to this article?

66. By Candace on Oct 3, 2012 | Reply

No squidgee, you are not. I just read it all.
    I have been procrastinating the entire 35 years of my life… I have copied and pasted several tips (thx Steph, Roberts, Stephanie Staples, Jacob, Bob, and the original writer of this article) and will start a plan of action right away. I understand that my Procrastination hurts me and others around me and yet I still do it; however I refuse to give up on myself. No amount of psychiatric help or drugs for my “depression,add,adhd,lack of motivation” or whatever is wrong me will change anything. This is something I HAVE to do myself.

67. By Jennifer on Jul 7, 2014 | Reply

I have this problem with writing papers. I usually end up crying because of how bad I procrastinated and also because usually I do not finish them. Depressing but true. What also sucks is that I have terrible test anxiety. I am currently procrastinating right now and I want to cry. Story of my life.

68. By Mark Ellwood on Jul 7, 2014 | Reply

Writing papers can be tedious, but the rewards at the end are great.

Here’s something that might help. We have developed a new web site called http://www.BuddyHive.com Go there, put in a task, (i.e. “Finish my paper”) and we will set you up with a random buddy to be accountable to. It works.

69. By Mark on Oct 30, 2014 | Reply

My personal experience tells me that positive attitude toward my work is the only motivator that really makes my work flow. I convince that I like my job and that it is important. Sometimes is difficult, I know, but never stop trying. Also, I like smart tools that helps me avoid procrastination: http://kanbantool.com/overcome-procrastination.